Add a Morning Elixir to your daily routine!
Just the word “elixir” makes you think you’re doing something healthy and possibly magical for your body. I’ve been drinking variations of this elixir for the past several months, and I definitely notice a difference.
- Set yourself up for success by keeping it simple. Start with a 2 ingredient beverage by using the juice from a fresh lemon and warm water. Here are some surprising benefits of this simple two ingredient drink.
- After you’ve got the basic elixir down, consider adding some supplemental items. The additions depend on what you are trying to do. In most cases, you just add the herb or spice directly into the drink.
- Turmeric: Potent anti-inflammatory, boost immunity, neutralise free radicals, boosts brain function, may lower risk of heart disease, may help prevent cancer, antioxidant rich. Everyone can benefit from anti-inflamation herbs but in particular consider it if you are recovering from an injury, if you have a chronic health condition, or if your energy isn’t as high as it used to be.
- Ginger: Consumption may help prevent diabetes, obesity and heart disease. Supports digestion, anti inflammatory, immune supporting. Contains calcium, iron, vit C, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, folate, b vitamins and iron. Ginger fires you up so if you need an energy boost, add a bit of fresh grated ginger.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: fermented and rich in proteins and enzymes to support digestion. Mineral rich, anti-microbial. May lower blood pressure, aid weight loss and support insulin sensitivity.
- Himalayan Sea Salt: Electrolyte balance, rich in minerals (hence the pink colour). Regulates water, prevents muscle soreness, promotes bone health, supports immune system. NEVER use table salt (it’s a dead food).
- Ceylon Cinnamon: this helps to regulate blood sugar. Make sure it is Ceylon (versus Cassis Cinnamon) so you get the maximum health benefits.
- Raw Honey: I don’t use this myself as I steer clear of most fructose foods but raw honey has a long list of health benefits you can learn about here.
- Gelatin: If you are suffering from joint pain or recovering from an injury, gelatin can be a great supplement. Standard gelatin is made from animals but you can use agar agar as a vegan option. Here are some of the benefits of gelatin.