1) Name: Katarina Gleisberg
2) Lives in: Omaha, Nebraska, USA
3) What city/country were you born in: Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota, USA. My dad was in the military and we moved around quite a bit, which cultivated my love of travel.
4) Occupation/employer: I’m a teacher of English Language Learners and Mindfulness; and the creator of ELL Teacher Share, a website for English Language Learning resources that honor the Multiple Intelligences and Mindfulness.
5) First three jobs: As a teenager I was a paraprofessional for children’s art classes. I was a direct care counselor for individuals with disabilities at a camp in New York. Then I started my teaching career with jobs teaching Special Education, 3rd & 4th grades, and English Language Learners.
6) Zodiac sign: Virgo
7) Enneagram Type: I’m definitely a Type 7, the Enthusiast! Yoga and meditation is imperative for calming my “monkey mind”!
8) What you love about Athens or Greece in general: I love the sea and variety of breathtaking landscapes, the travel and adventure opportunities (especially Delphi and road trips in the Peloponnese), the fact that much of Greece is untouched by modern commercialism, my museum pass with unlimited access to all the intriguing archaeological sites and art history, and the fact that I could sit in a restaurant with friends for hours, and no one rushed us.
9) Something most people don’t know about you: As a way to overcome a fear of being recorded (and self-consciousness in general), I started recording Yogi Smoke Breaks: 7-10 minute mindfulness practices via Facebook Live that incorporate breathing, stretching, and meditation. The gentle yoga is adapted for people of all abilities to reconnect and recalibrate. I’ve recorded half of them in public places, which has been an opportunity to expose everyday people in a variety of settings to mindfulness! These videos have led to my YouTube channel (something I would’ve never imagined a year ago).
10) Where we are most likely to find you in Lynn’s Kundalini Yoga: When I lived in Athens, I attended Lynn’s roofdeck yoga and Enneagram panel parties as often as possible. I can’t wait to go back and attend one of Lynn’s retreats!
11) First time you tried Kundalini Yoga (where/when/with whom)? I attended Lynn’s Acropolis roofdeck class for the first time in September 2015, right after I’d moved to Greece to teach ESL at ACS. I was in awe of the setting so close to the Acropolis, Lynn and her inclusive community, and the power of Kundalini.
12) Anything else you’d like us to know? I’m in a life transition, after having felt caged by the standards of the traditional workaholic teaching world, perfectionism, and standards of others–like nothing was ever good enough. I changed my country of residence, career, and mindset. I was seeking clarity and started a journey of Emotional Intelligence. I started crushing some limiting beliefs and taking action. One result is my website for English Language Learning. If you’re not a native English speaker, and you’re interested in being interviewed about your experience learning English, please contact me on Facebook at ELL Teacher Share, or Instagram at ell.teacher.share.