1) Name: Derek Mogensen
2) Lives in: I live in Loveland, Colorado, USA and have been living here about 13 years. Ironically I do not love living in Loveland but it keeps me close to my two young children I co-parent.
3) Born in: I was born in Durango Colorado and lived in a small town called Bayfield for 14 years before finishing up my high school years in Grand Junction, Colorado.
4) Occupation/employer: My current occupation is as an Admission Counselor for Fort Lewis College and it pays the bills while I figure out what it is I’m meant to do. I tried and need to retry to pursue a passion of photography as a mindful photographer with a vision called Photo Conscious ( www.photoconscious.com), where I see myself following families and couples on their adventures and vacations, letting them be fully present in the moment, while it’s all being beautifully captured by me.
5) First three jobs (ever!): My first job was as a hand to a home builder, where I picked up nails, swept, and did other menial tasks while slowly learning the trade of framing. My boss was a volunteer wrestling coach and he liked my work ethic on the mat and would also make me lift weights, jump rope, and other physical activities when he couldn’t find anything for me to do. He taught me a good hand always finds something to do. Then in college I worked as a custodian in the student center and my work ethic was noticed and I was soon hired as one of the student building managers of the student center.
6) Zodiac sign: Cancer, Scorpio Ascendant and my chart is ruled by Pluto. And I definitely feel the tides of the moon.
7) Enneagram Type: Type Nine (Peacemaker) Intimate subtype with Perfectionist 1 wing
8) What you love about Athens or Greece in general: Sadly I’ve not been yet…But I will let you know.. 😉
9) Something most people don’t know about you: My first name is William. In Kindergarten I learned writing Derek was easier than William and told everyone to start calling me Derek. 🙂
10) Where we are most likely to find you in Lynn’s Kundalini Yoga: Over Skype working on my at-home Kundalini Yoga practice. And if I were in Greece, I would love to photograph her retreats and everyone’s magical moments.
11) When was the first time you tried Kundalini Yoga (where/when/with whom)?I learned of Kundalini Yoga while searching for Enneagram information. I came across Lynn’s website and her blog on compatibility between types and then clicked around her site to see the information on Kundaline and her book. Then I ordered her book and started doing the Kriya for Individualist Type 4’s as at the time I was drawn to Individualist 4s. Then I went to the one class that is offered once a week in my town and was properly introduced by Tammy Black. And by properly I mean you can only learn so much from looking at pictures in books. After my typing session with Lynn I started doing the type 9 Kriya everyday and did it everyday for almost a year as my streak was broken by the flu.
12) Anything else you’d like us to know?
I’m extremely grateful for Lynn and scared at the same time as she helps me grow towards my light. She has been guiding me to trust myself and my vision of Photo Conscious and to live in joy. I can’t wait to meet Lynn and the rest of this community in person, along with my two little kids, in Greece.